“Physical Education, as an integral part of the total educational process, is a field of endeavour which has as its aim the improvement of human performance through the medium of physical activities that have been selected with a view to realising this outcome”. - Charles A. Bucher
Physical Education is a subject that not only deals with formal education but also makes a student disciplined and educated from a physical, mental, emotional and social point of view. By considering the urgent need of our society recent concept of the educational process is directed toward the all-round development of the students. With this aim Plassey College laid stress on the introduction of the Physical Education Department for the students.
The Physical Education Department of Plassey College started its journey in 2017. From the very first, it was confined to General Course. The courses have been approved by the higher education department, Govt. of WB and are affiliated with the University of Kalyani. The department had a difficult but eventful beginning, with a small number of students but was determined to impart knowledge of Physical Education from the very first day.
At present, in the department, there are two teachers:
- Md. Nasiruddin Pandit, (H.O.D)
- Md. Shamim Akhter.
The intake capacity for this General Course, at the beginning, was 10 (ten) which is now expanded to almost 60 (sixty) students.
The mission of the department is to deliver quality education, proper infrastructure, and a healthy educational environment to produce quality sportspersons in order to represent them in the higher arena of Physical Education. Keeping the higher ideal of all-around development, the faculty members are dedicated and determined to encourage the students by making them participate in various co-curricular activities. We do believe in keeping the sportsman’s spirit while putting special emphasis on personality development.
A physically educated person is one who has mastered the necessary movement skills to participate confidently in many different forms of physical activity; one who values physical fitness and understands that both are related to health and well-being. The vision is for all students to be physically educated and have fun while moving. Students who choose to actively participate in quality physical education programs receive a variety of benefits, including the development of:
- A variety of motor skills and abilities related to lifetime leisure activities
- Improved understanding of the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle
- Improved understanding of movement and the human body
- Improved knowledge of rules and strategies of particular games and sports
- Self-confidence and self-worth as they relate to physical education recreation programs.
- 1. Students will develop competency in many movement activities.
- 2. Students will understand how and why they move in a variety of situations and use this information to enhance their own skills.
- 3. Students will achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- 4. Students will exhibit a physically active lifestyle and understand that physical activity provides opportunities for enjoyment, challenge and self-expression.
- 5. Students will demonstrate responsible personal behaviour while participating in movement activities.
- 6. Students will demonstrate responsible social behaviour while participating in movement activities. Students will understand the importance of respect for others.
- 7. Students will able to function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leaders in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings to accomplish a common goal.
- Students develop an understanding of Concepts regarding Physical Education in modern society to develop their growth and development to maintain quality of life.
- Knowing about Yoga will help to sustain life through the harmony of body mind and soul.
- To learn about management and leadership and through this knowledge organized big events in a meaningful and successful way.
- To develop a sense of awareness and concern for the anatomy, physiology and exercise physiology in their respect as well as to know in detail about a forced person and the anatomical differences between male and female athletes.
- Through this theoretical and practical knowledge students understand to evaluate themselves. Develop health, fitness, performance and Wellness as part of a sports person.
- Students acquire deeper knowledge regarding their Health, Disease, Immunity, Prevention Control and Management to develop the Wellness of sports persons and non-sports persons in different stages.
- Learn to analyse the data, apply statistical techniques and layout in a graphical structure to assess and evaluate fitness status, and sports skills status to get knowledge regarding development as well as to find out the correction and necessary modifications.
- Learners can relate to how culture and religion influence people’s perception of a place or region and its importance and use in various sector in the current scenario.